The scripts configuring the ethernet subsystem needs to be rewritten to python, this is today partly done in sh and perl and have its weaknesses.
The new script needs to take these things into account:
- Interfaces must not fail commit and be removed from config file when an interfaces is missing from the physical hardware
- When an interface appears(are hot-plugged) it needs to get it's config automatically. <-- and also cleaned away on removal
- needs to support at least systemd naming scheme, but arbitrary names are also welcome
- Hardware-id mapping table should not be inside the configuration file
- needs to allow hot rename of interfaces without reboot
For now i actually don't know if all of these things are possible to achieve , but it is whats wanted.
For now the process is not started, feel free to comment and if your'e want a mission, just assign yourself the case.