- User Since
- Mar 13 2022, 5:49 PM (15 w, 2 d)
Tue, Jun 21
In order to keep useful tracing/debugging tooling in a single place, the @jestabro has created the repo:
Since there is no vyatta package yet, you need to either compile it by hand or install it from the apt
as explained before. Some examples to play around with:
# NOTE: I had to downgrade this package to resolve the installation conflict # sudo apt-get install python3-pkg-resources=45.2.0-1 sudo apt-get install python3-pip sudo python3 -m pip install memray PATH+=":/home/vyos/.local/bin"
I have collected the profiling data for the following configurations:
If you are running a small QEMU device and it has run out of the memory, the scenario is following:
- The boot process has failed, the prompt is stuck, bash is not initialized - You reboot the device, it tries to read the config, fails once again as there is no free memory - Config was not loaded, you cannot log in; it is a loop
VyOS users can configure the front-end interface, called vycontroll, to examine the configuration state.
A detailed description can be found at:
Recently, I had to triage/debug a bunch of issues that involved running a legacy build of frr.
- Triaging issue down to the place when it was introduced. Otherwise, verifying that feature was never working at all.
- Comparing the execution flow between legacy/master versions to identify the divergence
- Building & running multiple (legacy/master) frr versions in parallel
- Doing deep analysis within gdb
Since the last update, I have simplified the CLI interface:
1. I have removed the global iterator and incapsulated the iteration state into the vty structure. This way, each vtysh client has its private iteration state for the following requests. It should be possible to query multiple data nodes simultaneously and asynchronously.
Thu, Jun 16
1. Stabilization - I have seen a corner case that would crash inside the northbound callbacks. - I can see some validation failure logs, although the resulting output seems good for me. - Daniil was concerned about memory leaks associated with iteration state. After additional research - this is not a problem, but I can imagine cases where we would fail to handle a malformed XPath and leak resources on the stuck unwinding I need to do some testing with Valgrind. 2. Scale testing 3. Async support for multiple vtysh clients. The current demo assumes that there is only one client. I want to map the iteration state to the vtysh client/socket so multiple requests may be executed in parallel 4. A debugging instruction I have used some complicated debugging flow when merging the feature. This should be useful for other (non-C) devs. 5. Finishing the documentation 6. advanced XPath filtering support?
Recently, I had a conversation with the VMware team lead - Pushpasis Sarkar.
He has described the ongoing development and explained the use case they are interested in.
From the conversation:
1. The latest proposal draft: Page 72-73 `Retrieve Operational Data - Retrieving Containers and Leaf members` Page 84-85 `Retrieve Operational Data - Retrieving Large List elements` + comments Page 86 `Retrieve Operational Data - Retrieving Containers and Leaf members` + comments.
Thu, Jun 9
May 2 2022
There was some effort to introduce profiling into the system before, but nothing was developed.
The ticket was opened to verify that the timing values displayed in /var/log/vyatta are correct.
The vyos-debug flag enables tracing for actions described in the templates.
This will be a step-by-step walkthrough of the system profiling, as I have found this to have a bunch of non-obvious technical nuances that might get you stuck.
Apr 25 2022
Apr 20 2022
Pull https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/pull/11004 was merged. This needs retesting on the latest FRR